If you have poinsettias decorating your home, retail store, or corporate environment, you will want to keep them looking festive and fresh all season long, right into the New Year. You may even be motivated to keep the flowers alive until next season, which is certainly possible. In order to care for your poinsettias now and well into the future, Beneva Plantscapes would like to offer some easy tips.
Did You Know? The vivid, colorful “flowers” of the poinsettia are actually its leaves, called bracts. The true flower is the yellow cluster in the center. When researching poinsettia care, any reference to the bracts means the large red, white or pink leaves.
- Poinsettia plants will last for months when properly cared for, retaining their color and bracts easily through the holiday season.
- The poinsettia must be protected from drafts, either warm or cold. Drafts from windows, radiators and doors will result in a wilted plant.
- Although poinsettias will generally do well on a windowsill, do not allow the plant to touch cold windows overnight. These conditions can cause the leaves to drop off.
- Check the soil daily. When the surface of the soil is dry to the touch, it’s time to water the poinsettia. Water it until the water runs out of the bottom drainage holes of the pot.
- If your plant is in a decorative container, dump excess water immediately.Poinsettias do not like for the roots to sit in water as they will rot.
- Poinsettias do best in daytime temperatures around 65-75 degrees F. Move the plant to a cooler room (50-60 degrees F) at night if possible. A humid environment is preferred by poinsettia plants.
- Once the bracts have fallen, you may choose to discard the plant or keep it for another year. If you keep it past the holiday season, fertilize the poinsettia with regular house plant food. Water it less frequently, but do not allow it to dry out completely. Move it to a cool, dark area until spring. Then, bring it to a brightly lit spot to continue growing.
- Poinsettias may be kept outside during the spring and summer, but in Florida need to be kept in shade at all times and checked for needed water often.If you are in need of poinsettias – or any plants or flowers – for your place of business, there is no better resource in the Sarasota area than Beneva Plantscapes. Our expertise, professionalism, high-quality product, maintenance plans, and rental services are sure to keep your business looking beautiful all year round.